Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fear of the Unknown

I was shooting the breeze with a dear co-worker during the closing hour of our shift last night and our conversation ventured off into a pretty involved yet inspiring topic...

It had been a while since I had worked with my friend so we had a lot to catch up on but the majority of our chat was about my plans for college because it is such an exciting time in my life right now. The countdown until I open my next chapter at college seems to be rapidly dwindling. It brings such a rush of melting pot feelings; this burning excitement for what is to come, a hunger for knowledge yet a strange, nervous kind of worry about the unknown ahead of me. The powerlessness of not being able to know what I am really in for, what class will be like, who I will meet, and how I will grow as a person is a bit frightening. But why should something so simple as going to a new school and starting the next part of my life scare me?


Why is it that the unknown is so feared?


You can't go through life backing out of opportunities because you are fearful of trying something new or testing your limits. My co-worker explained that when she was in college, she had been asked if she was willing to become a speaker for a club. Being in front of a crowd and speaking with a microphone was one of her worst fears but she decided that she was willing. Willing to not only try it out but to conquer her fear and see where this might lead her. It opened up so many doors, networking connections and actually brought her joy. She could not believe that something she was so nervous about turned into a passion that would have never evolved had she not tried it. After finishing her story, she said three powerful words,


"Do it afraid." 



There are countless times in life when one has to face daunting obstacles but once you get through it, you look back and question why you were ever so worried to begin with. I can recall many once scary occasions that I can look back on and laugh at because I don't know why I was ever so fearful; going to my first day of elementary school in California, or my first day of middle school and high school, my first volleyball tryout (which happened to be the first time I ever really played volleyball), learning to drive a car, moving to Texas my senior year and living in a whole new place, or graduating high school. All of these events were terrifying and extremely nerve-wracking but also somewhat thrilling because I had to venture a little further into the unknown.

Maybe discovering a piece of that unknown gives reason as to why there is always that tinge of excitement mixed in with the fear.


What are you so afraid of the unknown for? 



Life is short. Take the chance to be stronger than your fear and worry.
It is amazing what can blossom when we do explore the unknown even if we are overcome with fear.












(It has been quite a whirlwind the past few days so I apologize for the lack of posts lately. I do however,  have some exciting news. I am starting to sell my paintings. Anything on my previous post is for sale and I am more than happy to do custom orders. I have anything from mini canvases to regular sized ones. Please email me if you are interested or have any questions related to pricing or designs. I will be posting some of my paintings in a new entry in a few days!)


No comments:

Post a Comment