Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Beauty of a Struggle

"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."

       I stumbled across this quote tonight while doing some late night surfing on the web. It was not that this quote is effortlessly worded and abundantly flows from the heart who wrote it, but what struck me as beautiful is how perfectly it states everything I needed to hear or read in this moment. Perhaps it was something needed for some as you as well?  Life, as we know it, is a whirlwind full of many tremendous twists and turns that lift you high in the sky and alternately take you on a rough ride, sometimes grazing the ground in a manner that may seem impossible to ever get out of. However extreme or steady and unchanging it may be, life is an incredible and an exquisite journey none-the-less. Lately, that journey for myself and some of those around me has not been the most pleasurable.

     I am not sure why all of my late night blog-able thoughts come to me around one in the morning… Especially when I have to wake up for class in just a few hours but as I have been laying in bed, reflecting over the past few days, what has stood out most is how I have handled trekking through this current and unique valley of mine. What has made this journey so challenging for me is that I was not able to handle it the same way as other rough times in the past. I have found that you really cannot approach all situations with the same mindset. Sometimes there simply will not be a way to immediately look on the bright side of things and let hope for the good times ahead, be the only thing to dust you off and pick you up from the ground. Sometimes you have to dig deep into your emotions, be frustrated and cry it out. Depending on the type of person you are, you may need to confide in one or two people close to you.  I am an example of this because I usually have a hard time asking for help or talking about what I am going through because I am so used to being on the listening end. I know there are many others in my same situation. On the other hand, some have no problem openly relying on others to get through tough times and easily reaching out for help. There are also those who deal with everything on the inside and bottle things up. Although it is not the best way to deal with things, sometimes it is inevitable. I know for sure that I fall into that category and most everyone does at some point in their life.
 
     No matter what type of person you are and how you approach a difficult time in your life,  what you can't do during that process is let the valley transform you into something you are not and keep you from getting to that high point again.  Like the quote says, don't allow the tough times harden you, your character and your temporary emotions into permanent emotions. Though you may be struggling now or frustrated in this moment, don't let it cloud your vision of the world we live in or the way you perceive others.

Believe in the beauty of the struggle, always.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment