Friday, May 9, 2014

A Little Bit About Life

It's 2 am.
It's the first night of summer.
I should be sleeping or at least somewhat tired due to the lack of sleep from finals week.
Yet, here I am, writing because my mind is flooded with thoughts about the past year of school.

Ten months ago, I began a new journey. I started college as an innocent 18 year old with nothing but excitement and optimism in my eyes. I'm sitting here in awe as I am reflecting back to the monumental day I moved out on my own and adventured into the unknown. As I compare who I was then to who I am in this fleeting moment, it is obvious that I am no longer that oblivious girl.

They say that college is where you find yourself. It is where you have some of the best times of your life but also the worst and most stressful as well. It is where you learn to handle situations on your own, branch out and become self-sufficient. You gain invaluable life skills, memories, experiences and knowledge. You learn how to balance academics, a job or two(or three) at a time, involvements on and off campus, friendships, relationships, family, free time and so much more.

Looking back, I was a girl who was unaware of the world in front of her, her capability and only knew how to handle a couple friendships, my relationship with my family, a part time job and easy high school courses. That same girl who set foot on campus never believed she would be where she is now- a successful college student who balances academics, family, friends, a relationship, being an active member in her sorority, experienced in exec positions for leadership clubs and organizations, experience in balancing two to three jobs in addition to all of that and still have fun. It has not been an easy year but then again, where is the fun in a life without challenges when those challenges shape you into the person you are destined to be and give you unique experiences to draw from?

I have learned a lot this past school year and I thought I would share my biggest realizations:

1.) You cannot go through college or life alone. You cannot rely solely on yourself to get through life. You need to learn to rely on others and ask for help every once in a while.
2.) The relationships you make with others will get you further in life and impact you more than you can possibly imagine. If you take the time to get to know someone, you can learn and grow more than you will know. At the end of the day, I believe that relationships truly are one of the most important things in life.
3.) Never settle for less than you deserve. No matter which aspect of your life it is, never ever ever settle. Your happiness is too important.
4.) Be happy. Be positive. Be optimistic and encourage others often.
5.) You are going to make mistakes but it is OKAY. Brush it off, change your mindset and move on.
6.) Believe. Believe in yourself, in others and that you are destined to do great things.
7.) Have fun. You deserve it.
8.) Savor those late night conversations and random adventures or early morning Waffle House trips. It strengthens relationships and builds incredible memories.
9.) Prioritize. Prioritize. Prioritize.
10.) Get a decent amount of sleep every night.
11.) But know when it is okay to lose a few hours.
12.) Spend time in a beautiful place every once in a while. Take the time to enjoy a sunset, sunrise or spend some time under the midnight sky.
13.) A nature break is the ultimate cure for any stress, sadness or frustration.
14.) Do not let fear hold you back. Be stronger than any fear or worry because too often, fear causes regret.
15.) Be friendly. Say hi to strangers passing by. Make conversation with people you see in class, at work and on a daily basis. I went off to college not knowing anyone but I cannot tell you how many times I went to a place like the cafeteria alone and ended up meeting people by simply having a conversation in line.
16.) Never be afraid to be yourself or say how you feel. Your opinion is important and valued.
17.) Work hard, play hard.
18.) Do not waste time stressing out about a decision. Make one and MOVE ON. You will be much happier.
19.) Be accountable for your health. Whatever that means to you, do it. You have one body, respect it and take care of it. I promise it will make you feel 10x better. No matter how busy you are, you have time for your health.
20.) Be kind to others. Show them and tell them as often as you can that you appreciate them.
21.) Be selfish every once in a while. It is okay. Treat yourself. Buy yourself some flowers for your room or get something you have been eyeing for a while. Just do it.
22.) Time management is key
24.) Get involved in other things outside of your daily life. Join an organizations or group on campus or in your community. Give back. It broadens your horizon, builds character and might spark new passions and new friendships.
25.) Be involved in your own life. Enjoy all that life has to offer. Do as much as you can to take advantage of all the opportunities but also know when to slow down and appreciate the little things and friendships you find.

Life is short to not be anything but happy and to not embrace all that life has to offer. This has been one of the most insane, incredible, beautiful and truly remarkable school years that I have ever had and I could not be more thankful for it. I am genuinely excited to see what the next few years of college and life have in store for me and I hope you feel the same excitement, love and yearning for all that life has to offer.

Embrace the challenge. Enjoy the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment